Mindful Self-Compassion Guided Meditations
“Soft Landing” is an informal meditation used in Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC), an empirically-supported, 8-week training program designed to cultivate the skill of self-compassion. Based on the groundbreaking research of Dr. Kristin Neff and the clinical expertise of Dr. Christopher Germer, MSC teaches core principles and practices that enable participants to respond to difficult moments in their lives with kindness, care and understanding.
Soft Landing is an exercise used for transition times of the day, such as when arriving at work or home or returning to your office after a meeting or lunch. It’s helpful for centering to this present moment and bringing an affectionate awareness to ourselves in this moment. Sometimes it’s helpful to think of ourselves as passengers on an airplane, coming in for a soft landing, with intention and high regard for our own well-being.
This meditation is typically 1-3 minutes and is semi-structured, meaning that you can sense what you are needing in this moment and respond to your needs. For example, you may wish to take three deep breaths rather than one. Or, you may wish to stick with the sensation of being deeply grounded in your chair and to the earth below you. In other words, Soft Landing is an opportunity to tune in to what you're needing in this moment, before you move into your next activity.
Links to Guided Meditations
- Link to guided meditation: Loving Kindness Meditation from Dr. Kristin Neff
- Self-Compassion Break (written exercise)
- Self-Compassion Break (audio) from Dr. Kristin Neff
- Link to guided meditation: Loving Kindness for Ourselves (core MSC meditation) from Dr. Chris Germer
- Link to guided meditation: Affectionate breathing (core MSC meditation) from Dr. Chris Germer
- Tips for practicing self-compassion from Dr. Kristin Neff
- Center for Mindful Self-Compassion, University of California - San Diego Center for Mindfulness
- Guided meditations and exercises from the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion
- Dr. Kristin Neff's website - Co-Developer of the Mindful Self-Compassion program
- Dr. Christopher Germer's website - Co-Developer of the Mindful Self-Compassion program